Friday, March 13, 2009

My 200th Post

It’s silly, really, but I’ve been putting this off. I knew it was going to be my 200th post, and I wanted to save it for something “of special magnificence”, but I’ve just been too busy lately to get anything substantial together (not for lack of ideas).

So, instead, let me simply get my 200th post out of the way, marking it with little fanfare except the promise to bring you some very interesting new posts over the next few weeks. Just as soon as I get one or two (or five :) more pressing tasks cleared from my to-do queue.

In the meantime, reflecting on what writing Lingwë is usually like, have a listen to Daft Punk’s “Technologic” (and yes, that is one very creepy robot!) —
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick rewrite it,

Plug it, play it, burn it, rip it,
Drag it, drop it, zip, unzip it,
Lock it, fill it, call it, find it,
View it, code it, jam, unlock it,
Surf it, scroll it, pose it, click it,
Cross it, crack it, switch, update it,
Name it, read it, tune it, print it,
Scan it, send it, fax, rename it,
Touch it, bring it, pay it, watch it,
Turn it, leave it, start, format it
Stay tuned for more Tolkien, Lewis, and philological ruminations. Along with that, some exciting publication news on the not too distant horizon.

8 comments:

  1. I thought you hated Daft Punk! It would have been better to write your post to Minty's "Useless Man." :)

    Congrats on 200 posts. Wow, and to think I've read them all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, Gary, I only hate about 10% of their stuff (though I find about 90% of it boring). ;) And the vocals of “Technologic” have the benefit (to me, it’s a benefit) of reminding me of the ones from The Detroit Grand Pubah’s “Sandwiches”.

    As for “Useless Man”, wow, that’s an awfully cheeky suggestion, hahae. Readers, please do not blame me if you hunt for that song on Youtube and find your ears, and possibly eyes, blistered. You have been warned. (It’s a pretty cool song, though, in its way. :P)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, then, maybe this could fall under the 10% you don't find boring? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked that one. The song’s pretty good; the video accompaniment (unintentionally?) psychedelic. In general, my main two beefs with Daft Punk are: (1) their music is just too redundant (even “Technologic” is a good example); and (2) I don’t think the vocoder should be used for all vocals, all the time. It’s an interesting tool when used judiciously, but it becomes annoying when used exclusively. You wouldn’t want to listen to an entire album with vocals by Stephen Hawking, would you?

    Well, maybe you would, hahae, just for the novelty of it. And no, I’m not linking to one of those NSFW Hawking Raps on Youtube. Have a listen to the (clean) Large Hadron Collider Rap instead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahae! Baby got SLAC! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congatulations, Husband O' Mine.

    Love, Wife O' Yours

    ReplyDelete